Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day 3

I was moved cases. I sent all my research and links to the head lawyer and they pulled me in, showed me a new patent and told me to go to work. The research behind invalidating a patent is tricky because, as Dusty(one of the lawyers) explained, as a lawyer, there are two routes you must take. The first is to show why their client that is being sued  did not violate the prosecutors patent. This is the easier part of the research, having expert witnesses come in and explain how different systems work and compile it with evidence and usually the client will be protected. The second route is a lot trickier. It is proving why the prosecutor should not have a patent in the first place. This is done by looking at the filing dates on the patent and finding previous art(the term for patent in the profession) and showing why the prosecutor's patent should be invalidated. That was the research I was doing. To find adequate evidence, I searched on the US Patent Office website and the European Patent website to try and find previous art to use in the case. I was able to find four patents that had potential to be used in court and invalidate the prosecutor's patent.

To answer some of the previous questions, starting off in the larger firms is the way to go. You are able to gain a better reputation and network with clients and other lawyers so that if you decide you want to create a smaller firm, you have those resources and links. I want to serve clients in the computer industry. Computers have always been a passion of mine and I would love to work for companies like Intel of Nvidia. It has been a rewarding time at Jones IP. There is very little sound and each partner sticks to his own office, creating a peaceful environment that is conducive. Patent law seems like the best option for me as a person because there is a research aspect as well as a presentation aspect and that is what I excel at. I cannot wait to see what I work on tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment