Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Day 2

Today was a slow day. I arrived at the office at 9:30 and set up in the area that I had been designated. I was still assigned to the same case so I prepared a presentation. I was able to glean some information that contradicted the claims placed in this company's patent. After that, I was able to find some website data and wanted to discover more so I created a Google Analytic account and attempted to find more information about the companies website. I was unable to do so because I had to have certain permissions on the web page. The head lawyer asked me to come in and we discussed the new case I would be working on Thursday and Friday.

Even though this has only been a small taste of what being a patent lawyer entails, it has been a rewarding experience to see how they interact with the professional world. Mr. Jones, the head lawyer, jokingly  explained that patent lawyers exist because corporations do not want to put their own employees on the line. But, on a more serious note, he explained that these corporations expect the best work possible. Mr. Jones was a partner in a larger firm earlier in his career but branched off to create Jones IP. He said that companies usually will not employ smaller firms because there is a stigma attached to them that they cannot do as much work or as quality of work as larger firms. But, because of his ties to the larger, more well known firms, he was able to operate successfully as a smaller one. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a fascinating conversation. How will these insights affect your future work? Have you thought about your career trajectory in terms of
    1) what kind of clients you want to serve and
    2) what sort(s) of firm you want to work for?
    Is the best strategy to start small and then try to get hired by a large firm? Or try to get into a big-name place right after law school? Or do you want to do what this partner seems to have done: stick with a small firm and earn a reputation that competes with the big names?

    ReplyDelete