Monday, May 12, 2014

Day 1

Day 1 of working at Jones IP was an amazing experience. I was told to be at the office at 9:30 with my laptop and a good attitude. I got the office at the requested time and was introduced to Dusty, on of the partners at Jones IP. He sat me down in my designated office space(A desk with a monitor and some cables for my computer) and explained all of what patents are and do. We spent some time going back and forth about certain situations and he clarified some of the jargon that patent lawyers(and really lawyers in general use). He handed me a paper with their recent case information on it and told me to research as much as I could and then present it. I was also told many times that the information that was on that paper was confidential, so unfortunately I cannot disclose that information at this time. Nevertheless, I spent about two hours researching various items, collecting data, analyzing it, and the putting it in a memo for Mr. Jones, the head of the law firm. When he arrived, around 11:00, he pulled me into his office and summarized the case that we were going to be working on for the next week and also gave me insight into what I should focus my research on. After given some more guidance, I was sent back to the office room and typed away at my computer. The amount of thinking about the subject in context of the patent and the claims provided had me confused, but after researching some information about the entities involved, I was able to focus on what was really important to this case. At the end of the day, around 5:00, Mr. Jones again pulled me into his office and we went over all the details that I had found. He asked if I would share to the office how I was able to find certain pieces of information from the web and wanted me to provide a summary of all the business, personal, and data pieces I was able to find.

Patent Law fits very well. It involves a high level of subject knowledge but also the heavy research aspect that was so familiar in debate. The amount of knowledge that these lawyers are able to gain from being involved in a multiplicity of cases is fascinating. From being able to talk about the medical field in a hyper focused way to then be able to switch to detailing specific things about physics fascinates me. Overall, I am enjoying my time at Jones IP so far and will keep you updated on how tomorrow goes. I again apologize for not being able to disclose even a modicum of detail surrounding the case, but it is fascinating work.  

1 comment:

  1. Oliver, it's so awesome that you got to work with a partner on day 1! Also glad to see you putting your debate and research skills to good use.
    As your (former?) English teacher, I must note that I have no idea what this sentence means:
    "The amount of thinking about the subject in context of the patent and the claims provided had be confused"
    On your blog and in your professional memos, please remember to revise, edit, and proofread to ensure clarity.
    Glad to hear you had such a rewarding first day.

    ReplyDelete